As we head into the “dog days” of summer with oppressive heat and humidity, staying cool is a top priority. Here
are some tips for weathering August’s smoldering temperatures.
- Make aloe vera cubes. Simply fill an ice tray with aloe vera gel, freeze it, then place the cubes on your body’s pulse points, like the neck and wrists, for a quick cooling sensation.
- Try a cooling pillow. If you’re willing to spend a little, a cooling pillow can help you feel more comfortable on those muggy summer nights. Prices range from $27 to $180.
- Just add mint. Menthol makes our bodies feel cool, so by adding spearmint essential oil to products like body wash and lotion, you can get an instant cooling effect.
- Spend a few bucks on a handheld fan mister. Sure, you may feel a little silly carrying around a tiny fan, but you’ll be more comfortable than everyone else –– and they’ll probably ask to borrow it.
Here are additional ways to keep you and your home cool this summer:
- Close blinds and curtains during the day, and open them during the evening when the temperatures are cooler.
- Use ceiling fans and portable fans to stay comfortable. But remember, fans cool people, not rooms.
- Use appliances that put out heat, like clothes dryers and dishwashers, during the evening to minimize indoor heat during the day.