Caramel Apple Slab Pie
- 2 14.1 ounces packages refrigerated pie crusts (4 crusts) divided
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 8 cups thinly sliced and peeled Honey Crisp apples about 8 apples
- 1 cup caramel topping divided
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Bring crusts to room temperature according to package directions.
- Unroll pie crusts. Line bottom and sides of 13×9-inch glass baking dish with 2 pie crusts. Press seams of overlapping crusts in middle of baking dish together to seal.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in large bowl. Add apples; toss to coat well. Spoon into pie crust. Drizzle with 3/4 cup caramel topping. Top with remaining 2 crusts. Pinch edges of top and bottom crusts together to seal. Cut small slits in top crust.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on wire rack.
- Drizzle with remaining 1/4 cup caramel topping to serve.
Family Features, McCormick & Company, www.AboutOliveOil.org.
Linda’s Homemade Chili
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons chili powder seasoning
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
Brown the ground beef, onion and garlic. Drain excess fat. Stir in remaining ingredients. Mix well. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
You may also add one can of chili beans if desired. Top with sour cream, cheese and green onions if desired.
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups salad oil
- 2 teaspoons soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups raw carrots grated
Carrot Cake Icing
- 1 stick butter
- 1 8 oz package of Cream Cheese
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Mix and blend. Add grated carrots to cake batter and bake 30 minutes at 325 F. Makes 3 layers. Top with icing, recipe follows.
Carrot Cake Icing
- Mix well with electric mixer and spread thick on cooled cake.
Karen West, DeWitt, AR