Have it made in the shade, savoring shrimp salad, dessert pizza, lemonade!
Makes 2-3 servings.
- 1 piece naan
- 4 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 small banana, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
- 1/2 cup pineapple, chopped
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
Heat oven to 400. When it’s hot, place naan directly on grates, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
In a bowl, stir together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Spread cream cheese mixture on cooled naan. Roll banana slices in cinnamon sugar; layer banana on naan with pineapple, and sprinkle on pecans. Cut and serve.
Note: A Southern classic — the hummingbird cake — is transformed into an easy, light fruit pizza.
Makes 6 servings.
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 15 mint leaves
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1/2 cup grapes
- 5 strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 2-3 cups lemon-lime soda, chilled
Heat water to the boiling point, add sugar, mint and lemon. When sugar dissolves, remove from heat, and allow to cool. Remove mint. Pour into a pitcher, and mix with lemon juice, orange, grapes and strawberries. Refrigerate for 4 hours or more. Before serving, stir in lemon-lime soda.
Note: Combining two favorite summer sippers, Lemonade Mock Sangria is delightfully fruity.
Makes 2 servings.
- 1 (12-ounce) package cooked, small shrimp (tails removed)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, chopped
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive large bowl, adjusting salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving and up to 24 hours in advance.
Note: This ceviche-inspired dish makes a refreshing lunch or can be served as a dip, like a shrimp-and-avocado salsa, with tortilla chips.