Make the most of late-summer produce with salads and bruschetta!
Watermelon Cucumber Salad with Basil Honey Dressing
Makes 5 servings.
2 cups watermelon, diced
2 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced and quartered
1/3 cup red onion, diced
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 1/2tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
In a large bowl, toss together watermelon, cucumber and onion, and lightly salt. For dressing, place all ingredients in a food processor, and pulse until smooth. Pour dressing on salad, tossing to coat evenly, and serve.
Chopped Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Makes 6 servings.
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 2 cups cooked corn, (canned or cut off cob)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Salt, pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
In a large bowl, toss together all salad ingredients.
For dressing, whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl until sugar dissolves. Stir dressing into salad. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Notes: Great as a side with barbecue or even served on tacos, this salad is best made a day in advance. Cilantro can be used instead of one or both herbs.
Makes 4 servings.
- 2 1/3 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup basil, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 small garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/4teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning or oregano (optional)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 French baguette
For topping, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, and set aside.
For crostini, add garlic to olive oil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Heat oven to 400. Slice bread into thin rounds; brush with olive oil. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake for 5-7 minutes or until desired level of crispiness. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Serve with topping.
Note: Enjoy this recipe while the tomatoes are ripe and the basil is sweet!