- 1 prepared pie shell
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk or half-and-half
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes, divided
- 6 ounces whipped topping
- 1/3 cup caramel sauce
- Bake pie shell according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, whisk together cocoa powder, sugar and cornstarch. Add milk or half-and-half, and cook over medium-high heat.
- Stir constantly until thickened, about 10-15 minutes. Remove 1/4 cup of mixture, and stir it into egg yolks to temper.
- Quickly add yolks to pudding, and bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, and add butter, vanilla extract and 1/2 cup coconut flakes. Pour into pie shell. Allow to cool for 2-3 hours.
- Heat oven to 325.
- Toast remaining coconut by spreading on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and baking for 8-10 minutes, stirring once. Allow to cool.
- Top cooled pie with whipped topping and a generous drizzle of caramel sauce, and refrigerate for 2 hours or more.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut before serving.
Category: Chock-full of chocolate