- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced, or raw, boneless, skinless chicken breast (or 1/2 pound of each), diced
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 3/4 cup red and green bell peppers, diced
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, more as needed
- Chopped parsley or green onions (optional garnish)
In a large pot, heat canola oil. Add andouille sausage and/or chicken breast, browning lightly both sides. Add onion, bell peppers and celery, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add rice, garlic, salt, cayenne pepper and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 25 minutes. Stir at halfway point, and add more broth if it looks too dry. Enjoy!
Note: This is my go-to recipe when I am short on time.