- 2 pounds potatoes, chopped and cooked
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, diced
- 6 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 to 6 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 generous tablespoon chicken soup base (not bouillon)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce (I use Tabasco)
- Salt, pepper to taste
- To a slow cooker, add potatoes, ham and milk, and keep warm.
- In a skillet, sauté onion, celery and carrot in butter; cook until tender.
- Add flour, stirring until pasty.
- Remove from heat, and gradually add some of the warmed milk mixture to it until it is thinner.
- Slowly add flour mixture into milk mixture in slow cooker, stirring vigorously until well-blended.
- Cook on low heat only until hot and thickened; do not boil.
- Turn off heat, and add soup base, liquid smoke, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
Note: This recipe was used at church socials.