- 1 very large red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Water as needed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chive-and-onion cream cheese or soft herb cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 small pieces naan (pita size) or 1 regular
For the onions:
- Thinly slice onion. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a very large nonstick skillet. (You want as much surface area as possible.)
- When the oil starts to shimmer, add onions. Cook for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add butter, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring often. Add 1 tablespoon of water occasionally as needed to prevent the onions from burning or drying out.
- When almost done, add brown sugar and salt and pepper.
- Onions should be a rich brown color.
For the flatbread:
Heat oven to 400.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in nonstick pan, over medium heat.
- When hot, add mushrooms.
- Cook until tender.
- Add garlic and salt and cook for 1 minute.
- Turn off heat, and stir in cream cheese and Italian seasoning, until melted.
- Spread on naan.
- Top with caramelized onions and mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 7 to 9 minutes. Cut into slices, and serve.
Note: Onions can be caramelized up to 5 days in advance and refrigerated.
Category: Winter, winter, chicken dinner!