- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 small green or red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Coarse salt, black pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (like Rotel)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional garnish)
- To a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil, and sauté onion, red or green pepper, garlic, salt and black pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- To a slow cooker, add chicken broth, diced tomatoes with green chilies, black beans, chili powder, cumin, oregano and chicken breasts.
- Add onion mixture.
- Cook for 3 to 4 hours on high or 5 to 6 hours on low.
- Remove chicken breasts to cutting board and shred.
- Add shredded chicken back into pot along with cheese and sour cream.
- Cook for 1 more hour on low heat. Serve topped with avocado.